Sunday, December 6, 2015

I call her Arizona

I used to love a girl who made me a heart from frozen leaves. It was mid November, and snow covered the ground. It took Arizona hours to peal the frozen leaves from the ice covered asphalt beneath her feet and arrange them into 6" letters to spell out the words 'I Love You.' Next to those three words, there was a 6" frozen leaf heart.

Every time the seasons change; leaves start to fall, and snow covers the streets. I find myself thinking about that frozen heart. About the nail she broke, the cut on her index finger from ice, and the skinned knuckle from the hard asphalt. She could have stopped at 'I Love You,' but she didn't.
She didn't.

Arizona and I have went our own ways, and the last two winters haven't
been the same without her. I say I used to love a girl who made me a
heart from frozen leaves, but the truth is: I will always love the girl who made me a heart from frozen leaves.

I call her Arizona.

No comments:

Post a Comment